Calling all Apple users: if Apple products are an important part of your everyday life, it’s important to know how to clean them all. Admittedly, while keeping technology clean may not be the first thing we think of, it’s super important when it comes to the longevity of your devices. If you’re a first-time Apple owner or perhaps you’ve been slacking in the cleaning department, we’ve created a little guide to ensure you’re officially keeping your devices in tip-top shape.
The following cleaning tips apply to all Apple devices:
- When wiping down exteriors or screens, be sure to use soft, lint-free cloths, avoiding ones that are abrasive. This will ensure that you won’t cause any scratching when wiping down devices.
- Keep wiping at a minimum. As tempting as it can be to keep wiping and wiping, this can actually cause damage to your screens.
- This is probably a no-brainer, but some days our heads just aren’t in the game, so be sure to unplug everything before you start cleaning.
- Keep liquids away. While the liquids you can use for cleaning are few and far between, you still don’t want to accidentally spill a massive amount of water or alcohol all over your screen.
- Do not get moisture into any openings. Letting moisture seep in anywhere when it comes to electronics, will probably not have a great outcome.
- Do not use bleaches or other harsh chemicals. Again, this is probably a no-brainer, but it may seem like a good idea at some point to use a cleaner on your device. (It’s never a good idea.)
- Do not spray cleaner directly onto any of your devices. The amount of liquid you’re using should be minimal, we promise there will never be a need to spray down your entire device.
The process for cleaning Apple devices is actually super simple:
- Make sure your device is shut down and unplugged.
- Next, dampen your lint-free cloth with a little water and wipe down the exterior or screen.
- If you have a serious smudge that water just isn’t taking care of, you can use 70% isopropyl alcohol.
Avoid using any of the following products when cleaning your Apple devices:
- Window cleaners
- Household cleaners
- Compressed Air
- Aerosol sprays
- Cleaners containing hydrogen peroxide
If you run into any issues while cleaning, or feel as though something went wrong, never hesitate to contact Apple Support so you can get a handle on the situation as soon as possible.