New year, same awesome us. But we are trying to live a little healthier and maybe drop a few pounds in the process. Whether you’re committed to living healthier or you have a new goal weight in mind that you would like to achieve this year, science has some tips for those of us looking to shed some pounds!
(image via: hotze)
First, let’s talk benefits. Not only does losing weight make you feel better about yourself in general, but dropping a few pounds actually works wonders on our bodies, in fact, according to WebMD, just a 5% weight loss can:
- Improve Joint Health | Did you know that a measley 10 extra pounds actually feels more like 40 pounds of pressure on your knees and other lower body joints? And once you lose it, keep it off, because easing joint pain before it gets too bad can prevent artiritis later in life.
- Prevent Type II Diabetes | Even if it runs deep in your family, living a healthy life and losing weight can not only delay it, but even fully prevent it.
- Bump Up That HDL | HDL is the good cholesterol that helps prevent heart disease.
- Bump Down Those Triglycerides | These little guys transport fat for storage and energy, but high levels are responsible for heart attack and strokes.
- Make You Happy | Scientists aren’t really sure why, but losing weight tends to make people happier. Frankly, we don’t need the science behind it, we’ll take this added bonus.
Those are just a few of the many benefits losing weight comes with, now, let’s take a look at a few ways science says we can lose weight.
Focus on your diet, not so much your workout. At least at first. What you’re putting into your body is by far the most important component when trying to lose weight, so start this journey by cutting the calories.
(image via: today)
Get some sleep. Getting an adequate amount of sleep is right up there with eating healthy. Studies have shown that when you’re suffering from a lack of sleep, you tend to be hungrier and eat more foods that will give you a quick burst of energy such as foods rich in sugar and carbs. It doesn’t take long to spiral into some major weight gain with this lifestyle. So make sure you’re catching Zzz’s!
There is no magic diet. No matter what other people tell you, there is no magic combination of foods that will just melt the fat away. Sure, certain fad diets work for some, but to maintain the weight loss you have to maintain the diet, and is that really possible when it comes to most fad diets? The answer is no. Stick to foods that are rich in protein for your muscles, a ton of fresh ingredients, and steer clear of foods that are in sugar and fat such as junk food. (Not for forever, you can indulge a little bit, just don’t make it a habit. Plus, it tastes so much better when you don’t eat it all the time!)
We could go on, but we’ll leave you with these few helpful hints, and keep your eyes peeled for a part two!